Today I was scrolling an old cook book of my granny on Liguria traditional cuisine, “Mandilli de saea” written by Franco Accame. This is a very nice cook book, with carefully selected traditional recipes, no food photos but very funny illustrations, where the author not only gives traditional recipes but for each of them adds historical anecdotes.
All the recipes are quite delicious and easy to made. I will definitely try all of them!
For today, however, I choose the recipe of lettuce and egg soup (“suppa de leituga” in Genoese), which is a dish perfect for a summer dinner: it is light, healthy, fresh and easy to prepare.
This is also the occasion to use the super fresh eggs my dear friend Valeria gave me yesterday and the newly grown lettuces of my garden!
WHAT YOU NEED:
4-5 branches of marjoram
1 bunch of parsley
2 table spoons of extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese
4 slices of bread
HOW YOU PREPARE IT:
- Clean the lettuces and boil them for a couple of minutes (just to soften them).
- Drain, squeeze out the water and chop. Chop aside the marjoram and the parsley.
- Chop the onion and brown it in a pan with the extra-virgin olive oil for 3-4 minutes, or until golden.
- Add the chopped lettuce, parsley and marjoram. Cook all the vegetable together for 5 minutes and let them flavor.
- Pour 1 liter of hot water in the pan and let boil for 20 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl with the parmesan cheese. Pour this mix in the pan two minutes before the end of cooking and stir gently but continuously.
- Toast the slices of bread, put each of them at the bottom of the soup plates and pour the hot soup.
Sharing is caring!
If you like this post and wish to help me growing please push the “share” button here below!